Start here. The first step for a parent or teacher to help a child, is to learn the basics of dyslexia and the most common signs.
- Find out basic facts about dyslexia.
- There is no shame in dyslexia, it is part of who you are. But how do you explain dyslexia to a child?
- Quickly find out some of the most common difficulties caused by dyslexia.
- You can detect the possibility of dyslexia in very young children if you know what to look for.
- A child with dyslexia will typically exhibit one or more of these signs. Remember that every child is different. It is very rare for a child to have all these difficulties.
- The main indicator is a relative who is dyslexic or a poor speller.
- There are many widespread myths about dyslexia such as reading and writing backwards or claims of miraculous cures. Make sure you know the facts.
- What is the definition of dyslexia? Is dyslexia a medical issue or an educational difficulty?
- 80% of people with dyslexia show signs of a phonological processing problem but what does a difficulty with phonology mean?
- Almost half of dyslexics have low RAN but what is it, and why is it assessed when screening for dyslexia?
- Educational experts, researchers and medical authorities around the world have found little independent scientific evidence to support the use of eye exercises, vision therapy, tinted lenses or filters as a treatment for dyslexia.
- A simple explanation of words frequently used in education.