Structured Literacy for Reading and Spelling
For ages 6-11.
Winner of the Educational Resources Award.
Nessy Reading and Spelling is an effective resource that covers 5 years of literacy development from Year 1 to Year 6.
The program has been used successfully since 1999, by 100,000s of children worldwide. It is designed for children 6-11 years old, although many older students find the program helpful.
All students benefit from Structured Literacy based upon the Science of Reading. The program begins with systematic synthetic phonics which has been proven to be the best way to instruct early readers. As literacy skills develop, students advance to instruction in spelling, morphology, vocabulary and comprehension. Independent research has shown the program to be effective even for those learning English as an additional language.
The Nessy progression of literacy skills: Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary, Comprehension, Spelling and Morphology
There are 100s of lessons packed with videos, motivating games and 1000s of supporting printable worksheets and card games. Each student learns independently and at their own pace, gradually building confidence. The program starts with an assessment that identifies exactly where the student needs help, then guides them through an individualized learning plan.
Parents can even adapt their child’s lesson targets to practice what is being taught at school.
“Nessy has been an incredible tool for our family. It has helped my dyslexic daughter make progress and has helped my non-dyslexic son fly through phonics and learning how to read with a fantastic foundation. They both love it. It is by far the best program we have used (and we have used MANY).”
- Meghan, home educator
How Nessy Works
- Evaluation: Students begin by taking the Nessy Challenge to establish their baseline reading and spelling skills. The program then automatically assigns personalized reading and spelling target lessons.
- Reporting: Reporting allows parents to identify areas of instruction, and monitor their child’s progress.
- Individualized Approach: Children work independently through a series of lessons with videos, games and worksheets.
- Rewards: Children collect Nessy nuggets as a reward for their effort. They can trade their nuggets for games and virtual trophies.
"I'm a great fan of Nessy! This is coming from a mom who has serious reservations about computer curriculum/learning! After a month and a half of Nessy, she has progressed by leaps and bounds! She is reading more fluently and with much more confidence! She will actually, of her own free will, go and pick up a book to read! I highly recommend Nessy and we will continue using it for the foreseeable future!"
- J. Stauffer, home educator
- Works best with Google Chrome
- Compatible with most tablets equivalent of iPad 5 and newer.
“It’s a brilliant program, I had failed with every other intervention."
- Lucy McGann, Parent
“I can’t express strongly enough how much we appreciate your program and what it has done for my daughter. When starting your program, my daughter read at a beginning 2nd grade level, 2 years behind her actual grade level. We pulled her out of public school, began homeschooling and used your program daily. In less than a year, my daughter is now reading at a 5th grade level, her current grade level.”
- Crystal Lovato, Parent
“If you want your kids to be happier while they are learning then go to nessy.com. When we are working on assignments and some kids finish early they can go on nessy.com. Your kids can get better grades. Today I learned words with “or”. I really like Nessy and learn a lot from it.”
- Abygail, Child
“It was more extensive and inclusive than any other product I purchased and responsible for 100% of our reading success. It was the single most valuable product I could have come across. This program is impossible to fail. You basically have to NOT do it”
- Gail Camenzind, Homeschooling Parent
- 1000s of printable worksheets and games
- 100 lessons covering from beginning phonics to advanced vocabulary
- Game-based learning that kids enjoy
- Spelling practice lists
- Fluency practice sheets
- Printable flash cards
- Videos explaining spelling rules and phonics
- Built-in assessments to individualize instruction and track progress
- Blending and segmentation lessons
- Explicit teaching of language concepts
- Practice of high frequency and exception words
- Can be used at home and at school
- Developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre by a team of specialists.
“Nessy is an awesome program. It is extremely easy to navigate and the reinforcement activities are plentiful. During our summer program, the 2nd grade students asked daily to use Nessy. I found that three of my most academically challenged students enjoyed Nessy tremendously. These three students always walked out of the computer lab feeling accomplished. There is nothing better as a teacher than to see your students when that light bulb goes off and they get it!!”
- Sandy Vitale, Teacher