From: $50.00 / year
We guarantee it’s the most fun you’ll have learning to touch type!
About the Program
The award-winning Nessy Fingers has been a best seller for ten years. Now there is a new and improved online version. Join Team Nessy and race across 5 new Islands. There are 15 new games to play. Students win trophies and earn nuggets which they trade for rewards. As they learn to type, Nessy Fingers will improve reading and spelling!
Interested in purchasing for a school? Site licences and bulk pricing options available from our school support specialists. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
Who will benefit?
Designed for students aged 7-12. It is particularly effective for students who learn differently.
How it Works
The secret to touch typing is lots of practice and Nessy Fingers is the most motivating typing program in the world – that’s why it is so successful.
Why is it good for Dyslexia?
Children with a spacial difficulty are slower at finding keys. They often find it frustrating to use typing programs because the starting level is too high for them. Nessy Fingers is different, it has a low starting level of 4 words per minute, ensuring success.
Students with dyslexia respond better to a logical learning structure. Nessy Fingers introduces the keys alphabetically. This is a familiar sequence that makes more sense to a dyslexic than the random keys used in other programs.
It is simple and quick to get a student started. Progress is easily accessed as a class or individual report. Tables and graphs show characters per minute (CPM), words per minute (WPM) and accuracy (ACC%).
- Lesson 1: Home Keys (Learn the correct fingers positions to make touch typing easy and fun!)
- Lesson 2: Keys A-G
- Lesson 3: Keys H-N
- Lesson 4: Keys P-Z
- Lesson 5: Punctuation
- Dino Island
- Penguin Mountains
- Black Rock Island
- Lost Lagoon
- Monkey Jungle
Collect trophies for completing all 5 lessons and coming first on the island races! Click an empty pedestal to see how to win that trophy as you make your way around the Nessy Finger islands and tackle the time trial!
Test yourself against the clock!
The Nessy time trial is unique, using full sentences and punctuation to set a personal best for words per minute and accuracy that will be displayed in Mount Glory – your trophy island. Your personal best sets the default Skill-o-meter difficulty for all other games.
Read a full Nessy Fingers breakdown here.
Test your typing speed in our mini-game! Compete against other Nessy characters in a 60-second race to the finish and find out if you have lightning fingers!
Why Learn to Touch Type?
Schools in the United States regularly teach touch typing, also sometimes referred to as keyboarding. As a 1998 article by Gary Hopkins in the American journal Education World puts it: “With an enormous computer presence in schools, the question is no longer whether to teach keyboarding but when to teach it.”
8 Reasons to Learn Touch Typing:
- Learning to touch type is like riding a bike, once you’ve learned you will never forget how!
- Reduced need for handwriting which can be a challenging area for some people with dyslexia
- Speed – touch typing is significantly faster than the hunt and peck method. In the future this can lead to increased employability/job prospects, but right now it can mean less time on homework!
- You don’t have to look at the keyboard, allowing you to correct your errors in real-time as you make them, rather than looking up to check after every letter/word/sentence.
- Improved ICT skills
- Research has shown that learning keyboarding in the first few years of schooling can benefit student’s reading, comprehension, vocabulary and spelling skills.
- It also gives an alternate way to learn to spell, you become used to the pattern and structure of the letters and muscle memory can help you remember spellings.
- A recent study showed that there is no difference between those with dyslexia and those without when work is typed, but a significant difference when it is handwritten.
“Teaching touch typing skills and allowing pupils to use a computer for written work can allow more concentration to be focussed on the content of the piece. At secondary level, this may give significant improvement in exam grades”
– BDA (British Dyslexia Association)
Technical Requirements & Support
- Robust broadband internet connection.
- Not tablet compatible.
- Chrome or Safari browser recommended. Not compatible with Internet Explorer.
“This is the best typing program I have seen and feel it really encourages the children to want to succeed.”
“My 11 year old son who is dysgraphic has been using the Nessy typing program and it has been great, he is actualy learning to type. The best thing about the program is that it teaches the keys in alphabetical order so it is much easier for children to remembre where the keys are.”
“My daughter, who is 11, has been learning touch typing now for the past 4 years and is finding it difficule due to dyslexia. She played Nessy typing last night and feels that she has learned more in the hour than she has in 4 years”
“I’ve tried the BBC one and another commercial one and I touch type myself. I like the way they teach you alphabetically (you learn letters in alphabetical order, which will be a great help to my daughter with her spelling), the lessons are short and clear with rewards, and the practise games are as fun as it can be, my daughter forgot she was practising because she wanted to win. We’ve only just started it, but I’m impressed.”
– Lisa, Parent
“It really is very simple and great fun. My 7 year old dyspraxic son doesn’t even realise we are teaching him to type…it’s a treat that he gets if he has been good.”
The animations are awesome…Nessy Fingers is so well set out and logical and FUN! A real winner.
– Kirsty, Parent
“I just want to express how thankful I was to receive my copy of Nessy Fingers less than 24 hours after placing my order. This is the first touch typing tutor he has tried that actually works. He was diagnosed with dyslexia in June and since finding Nessy Fingers has been working away on it every day. Thank you so very much for producing such a great product and providing the best customer service possible.”
– Clare, Parent