Rediscover self esteem
Establish a love of learning.
Nessy believes that when children laugh then learning becomes more memorable.
Where children play games the increased level of engagement leads to dramatic improvements.
Combine this philosophy with a highly structured, incremental system based on well established Orton-Gillingham principles of learning and you can see the reason why academic results show such dramatic gains.
Nessy has been making fun, educational software for children since 1999.
During this time Nessy has gradually developed a reputation for exceptional quality.
Nessy has won Educational Resources Awards three years in a row.
Nessy programs are now used in schools around the world.
Nessy was established at the Bristol Dyslexia Center.
Mrs Pat Jones, the founder, developed a phonics based learning program founded upon the principals of Orton Gillingham and influenced by the highly-respected Hickey and Hornsby (Alpha to Omega) programs.
Established in 1989, the Center practitioners developed a series of unique learning strategies.
Standarized reading and spelling assessments proved that reading instruction that incorporated these strategies was incredibly effective.
This structure and strategies form the foundation of the Nessy approach to learning.
Nessy aligns to k-5 common core standards
Nessy covers all aspects of the CCSS reading foundational skills.
- Phoneme-Grapheme Correspondences
- Six syllable types
- Rhyming skills
- Phoneme identity, blending and segmentation
Nessy includes the essential components of reading instruction.
- Phonological awareness
- Phonics and word recognition
- Vocabulary, fluency and comprehension
Principles of best practice
- The Nessy Learning Program adheres to the Orton-Gillingham approach meaning that each child receives instruction tailored to his or her specific needs.
- Flexible enough to be adapted to how the individual learns. Nessy can be used to supplement an existing program or as a complete system of instruction.
- Every resource is graded so the student is not expected to know anything that has not yet been taught.
- Multisensory activities. Reading and spelling are taught at the same time.
- A highly structured, sequential, cumulative and systematic phonics based learning program.