Who we are
We are Nessy Learning, an educational technology company that creates learning software for students of all abilities.
This privacy notice explains how we use any personal data we collect about the pupils and staff in your school. Nessy Learning Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 3845393 with its registered office at 42 Baldwin Street, Bristol, BS1 1PN, UK.
When purchasing any of our products, the School remains the Data Controller.
- This is because you have chosen to use Nessy’s products to support and aid the delivery of your educational functions.
Nessy is the Data Processor when we provide products and services to a customer.
- We are being asked by your school to run and deliver the products and services you have purchased.
Schools are responsible for how its staff use our products and services
- look after passwords generated by the system,
- ensure the personal information added to the system is accurate, i.e., the teacher and pupil details,
- ensure that permission to access the system are removed when a teacher (or other agent) no longer requires access (e.g., they have left their role or changed role),
- handle any reports or data extracted from the system.
Nessy is responsible for ensuring that
- the systems used to deliver the products and services operate securely,
- it meets and maintains its own security obligations,
- it processes personal data as defined in the contract between its customers.
Legal basis for the processing of information
Nessy processes data on the lawful basis of Contract – a School (or other educational institution) enters into a contract with Nessy, so that Nessy can provide its services. Under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) this is laid out in Article 6(1)(b).
What data do we collect?
The Nessy will collect the following information.
- Name and email address of employees (school accounts)
- Name and date of birth of student
- Payment details
How do we collect the data?
The data is collected by Schools inputting the student data as required throughout the subscription. As the Processor we are unable to amend any data that is inputted into our systems by the Controller, unless directed to by the Controller. While the student is interacting with the learning software Nessy retains what progress they have made as well as time spent learning. This allows you to see progress and get information on the amount of time spent learning. This is also used by us as an aggregate to see how much time students are spending learning, across the platform and individual accounts.
How will we use the data?
Nessy will use the data to undertake scientific or historical research and/or for statistical purposes. This comes from the data generated by students and their use of the system. This data is anonymised before use this means the data cannot be identified to a student.
Nessy is the Data Controller responsible for the process of rendering the personal data anonymous and using the data for research purposes.
For the avoidance of doubt, the research and/or statistics
- purposes will not be likely to cause substantial damage or substantial distress to a data subject.
- processing will not be used for the purposes of measures or decisions with respect to a particular data subject.
This use of data is outlined in the contract between us.
Data retention and deletion
Nessy will retain the data for one year after the subscription ends, unless required by law, such as the financial data, that must be kept for a minimum of 7 years. Nessy will keep the data for any queries or legal claims that may arise. Once the retention date has passed Nessy will anonymise the data to undertake scientific or historical research and/or for statistical purposes as explained in data use paragraph or section above.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about our privacy notice, the personal data we hold about you, or our use of your personal data then please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Data Protection Officer
42-46 Baldwin Street
How to make a complaint
You also have the right to raise any concerns about how your personal data is being processed by us with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO):
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Nessy keeps it privacy notice under review and places any updates on this web page. This privacy notice was last updated on 6th April 2021.