Nessy Reading and Spelling
From: £8.00 / month
Nessy Reading & Spelling has been developed by a team of specialist teachers and psychologists to help children with dyslexia.
About the Program
Nessy Reading and Spelling was developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre by a team of specialists. It represents a lifetime of inspiring children and teachers by the co-founder of Nessy and the Dyslexia Centre, Pat Jones OBE. The program has been used successfully since 1999, with 100,000s of children around the world. During that time, it has proved to be one of the most effective teaching systems ever created. It was designed for students aged 6-11 years, although many older students and adults have found the program helpful. Independent research has shown the program to be effective even for those learning English as an additional language.
This is a huge resource! There are 100 lessons packed with video strategies, motivating games and 1000s of supporting printable worksheets and card games. Each student learns independently and at their own pace, gradually building confidence. The program starts with a fun assessment that identifies exactly where the student needs help, then guides them through target lessons. Teachers can adapt the targets and use the program as a supplement for their lessons. Equally, many thousands of parents have used Nessy without a specialist teacher, to help their children at home. The incremental structure systemically develops phonemic awareness, phonics, blending and segmentation, sight words, reading fluency, spelling, vocabulary and comprehension.
This program is not going to be better than an experienced dyslexia specialist who has been trained in one of the recognised Orton-Gillingham based systems of learning, but not everyone can afford a specialist and many people don’t have access to a dyslexia trained teacher. Nessy Reading and Spelling is a fantastic program that offers an affordable alternative solution, one that is proven to help children, especially those with dyslexia, learn to read and spell with confidence.
“Nessy really has made a huge difference. It is easily understood, and teaches
through… fun, concrete methods. The games are fantastic for learning. I love it!”
– Julian Swindale, Class teacher, Sefton Park Infants School
Nessy Reading & Spelling is in over 10,000 Schools Worldwide.
How it Works
- Assessment Tools: Students begin by taking the Nessy Challenge to establish their baseline reading and spelling ability. The program then automatically assigns personalised reading and spelling targets.
- Reporting: Reporting delivers performance data and analysis in a simple to understand format, and colour-coding allows teachers to immediately identify and target areas of individual difficulty. What’s more, the initial evaluation helps to create a baseline score upon which progress is measured.
- Individualised Approach: Working independently, students’ progress through a series of strategy videos, games and worksheets to complete their personal targets.
- Rewards: Student progress is rewarded by completing fun game-like activities that then unlock new games, characters and magical worlds.
- Development: After completing initial targets, students are reassessed, and new targets are set. Students continue working through the ten islands rapidly developing essential reading & spelling skills, whilst having fun!
- Strategies: Within the animations, Nessy embeds memory strategies that help students encode important rules.
“Let everyone know that I think Nessy is wonderful! We have used it in so many ways!
The kids love it because of the games and funny characters!
They actually don’t realise that they are learning.”
How Often Should Nessy Reading & Spelling Be Used?
The extent to which Nessy is incorporated into the overall learning program will have an impact on the overall learning improvement that results. To achieve the best results you should try and spend 80 minutes a week on Nessy:
Nessy Learning conducts ongoing independent research into all its products. Learn more about the research indicating that Nessy Reading & Spelling accelerates learning for struggling readers.
Research evidence finds Nessy Reading & Spelling effective!
- Helping children with dyslexia since 1999.
- Developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre.
- Used in 10,000 schools worldwide.
- Winner of the Education Resources Award.
‘Nessy has proved a wonderful resource, and has enabled the island to become dyslexia friendly’
–Wendy Hurford MBE, Director of Special Education for Jersey
Technical Requirements & Support
- Robust broadband internet connection.
- Compatible with most mobile devices. Kindles, iPad Mini and devices older than the Samsung Tab4 or iPad 4 are not supported
- Chrome or Safari browser recommended. Not compatible with Internet Explorer.
- Digital User Guide available on the Nessy website provides detailed feature and function information from program start-up to student reporting. This invaluable resource is continually updated to reflect the latest changes made to the program. In addition to the guide, Nessy maintains a library of training videos and webinars to support teachers and administrators.
Need help getting started?
- Check out our FAQ’s
- Read the userguide here
- Still need help? Contact us
If you require larger licences, please contact our office at email@example.com
“It’s a brilliant program, I had failed with every other intervention.
– Lucy McGann, Parent
“Your product is fantastic. I love it for my students. As a dyslexia specialist, it is one of the most effective curricula that I have ever implemented with students.”
– Tiffany James, Structured Literacy Teacher & Education Specialist
“I can’t express strongly enough how much we appreciate your program and what it has done for my daughter. When starting your program, my daughter read at a beginning 2nd grade level, 2 years behind her actual grade level. We pulled her out of public school, began homeschooling and used your program daily. In less than a year, my daughter is now reading at a 5th grade level, her current grade level.”
– Crystal Lovato, Mother
“If you want your kids to be happier while they are learning then go to nessy.com. When we are working on assignments and some kids finish early they can go on nessy.com. Your kids can get better grades. Today I learned words with “or”. I really like Nessy and learn a lot from it.”
– Abygail, Child
““It was more extensive and inclusive than any other product I purchased and responsible for 100% of our reading success. “It was the single most valuable product I could have come across. This program is impossible to fail. You basically have to NOT do it”
– Gail Camenzind, Homeschooler
“We’re really loving Nessy reading and spelling – I didn’t think I’d ever be able to move on from my Nessy CDRom, but the online version is brilliant.” – Marianne Corcoran, Belmont School
- 10 islands
- 100 lessons
- 1000+ worksheets
- 300+ animated strategies
- Learn prefixes and suffixes
- Mnemonic spelling strategies
- Sets learning objectives
- Easy to use