Structured Literacy for Reading and Spelling
For ages 6-11.
Winner of the Educational Resources Award.
Winner of the Educational Resources Award, Nessy Reading and Spelling is an effective resource that covers 5 school years of literacy development, from Year 1 to Year 6.
Nessy Reading and Spelling was developed at the Bristol Dyslexia Centre by a team of specialists. The program has been used since 1999, with millions of children worldwide. It is designed for children 6-11 years old, although many older students find the program helpful.
Nessy is not just for dyslexia. All students benefit from Structured Literacy based upon the Science of Reading. The program begins with systematic synthetic phonics which has been proven to be the best way to instruct early readers. As literacy skills develop, students advance to instruction in spelling, morphology, vocabulary and comprehension. Independent research has shown the program to be effective even for those learning English as an additional language.
There are 100 lessons with a Scope and Sequence beginning with letter sounds, progressing through morphology vocabulary and comprehension.
Nessy Reading and Spelling has 100s of videos, motivating games and 1000s of supporting printable worksheets and card games.
Each student learns independently and at their own pace, gradually building confidence. The program starts with an evaluation that identifies exactly where the student needs help, then guides them through an individualized learning plan.
Teachers can adapt student's lesson targets to fit in with your teaching plan.
“Nessy really has made a huge difference. It is easily understood, and teaches through fun, concrete methods. The games are fantastic for learning. I love it!”
Julian Swindale, Teacher
How Nessy Works
- Evaluation: Students begin by taking the Nessy Challenge to establish their baseline reading and spelling skills. The program then automatically assigns personalized reading and spelling target lessons.
- Reporting: Reporting allows teachers to identify areas of instruction monitor student use of the program and progress.
- Individualized Approach: Students work independently through a series of lessons with videos, games and worksheets.
- Rewards: Students collect Nessy nuggets as a reward for their effort. They can trade their nuggets for games and virtual trophies.
“The kids love it because of the games and funny characters!
They actually don’t realise that they are learning.”
Christy Harrison, Teacher
- Works best with Google Chrome
- Compatible with most tablets equivalent of iPad 5 and newer.
- 100 lessons covering from beginning phonics to advanced vocabulary
- Game-based learning that kids enjoy
- Spelling practice lists
- Fluency practice sheets
- Printable flash cards
- Videos explaining spelling rules and phonics
- 1000s of printable worksheets and games
- Built-in evaluations to individualize instruction and to track progress
- Blending and segmentation lessons
- Explicit teaching of language concepts
- Practice of high frequency and exception words
- Can be used for homework and at school
Want to purchase more than 10 licenses?
Contact our team of school specialists firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the form below.